Derryvullen and Garvary Mothers' Union
Mothers' Union History
The Mothers Union was formed in 1876 by Mary Sumner whose husband was Rector in Winchester at the time, and later became a Bishop. The organisation spread quickly, as many of the ladies involved ,were army officers wives and when they went abroad started branches.
The first Mothers Union Branch in Ireland was formed in Raheny in 1887, by the Rector's wife Mrs Annabella Hayes in affiliation with Winchester Diocese. In 1901 the Bishop and Mrs Sumner visited Ireland.
The MU spread quickly in Ireland. The first Branch in Clogher was formed in Clontibret, Co Monaghan, in 1900. At a meeting in Clones in 1904 it was decided to form a Diocesan Organisation and the Countess of Belmore was appointed the first President.
So the organisation began and ,for the most part, survived the wars and the unrest caused by the IRA which occurred in Northern Ireland in the 1950's and 80's.
A short history was compiled by Valerie Stewart 1900-2001 and there are still a few copies available. If you would like a copy get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org